Seasonal thoughts

I'm not a fan of Christmas. Being truthful I rather try to avoid much of it. I'm not religious so the worship part is out. But equally I like to respect people's beliefs so the commericality of the Festive Season I find crass. I also am teetotal so the drink 'til you feel sick aspect escapes me.

All in all, I have to admit to being a little bit of a "Bah Humbug!" Scrooge-like figure about the whole thing. For anyone that knows me this is not news. But I wouldn't dream of stopping anyone enjoying the season in whatever way they enjoy. Okay I might moan a little about it from time to time. I'm rather good at moaning, after all I am English, but being truthful I would never try to sway anyone's individual beliefs and practices.

But it does depress me when I hear about children - seven, eight, nine years old or something like that - wanting a new bike, an iPod, a Playstation (or whatever the latest games platform is these days), a this, a that and a "the-other" - and wanting all of them.

I know I liked presents as a child. Hell, if I'm honest I rather like them now. It's just I'd rather have them as surprises, at random times, than as expected items on a day specified by the conventions of society. (Book tokens, or Amazon vouchers being a particular favourite of mine as it gives me the chance to receive a gift and go shopping for books.) And, no I didn't get any presents this morning.

Christmas for me has lost its magic. Somewhere amongst the metres-high piles of gaudily wrapped, New Year's Day dustbin fillers it kind of got misplaced.

...

I just re-read the first part of this post. God, I sound depressed. I'm not. Don't feel you need to hide anything sharp. Writing this so far has already brightened my mood - even of that has come at the expense of darkening yours. I apologise for that. I had started this wanting to wish anyone strange enough to read the posts I type a Merry Christmas, Happy Hannukah or Joyful Yule or whatever you celebrate (and I know the timing is completely wrong for anyone Muslim, Sikh or Hindu).

It just kind of got way from me.

Hmmh! I think I'd better stop.

There is one good thing about Christmas though - the Doctor Who special was on earlier and I thoroughly enjoyed that. Missed the Queen's speech earlier though (or should that count as two good things about the day).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Second Review of Wrath James White - Succulent Prey

Review of Ray Garton - Bestial

Attempts at regaining the writing saddle