Catchup

I can't believe it's been a couple of weeks since I last posted a blog entry. Time flies like an arrow (in the way fruit flies like a banana),

I have been writing a little. I started a new novel a little while back - I blogged something to this effect back on the 24th July. Well it's a sf novel and I'm about 14K into it. The only problem is I'm just not feeling it. I might hand it over to my test reader after the Olympics and see what the feedback is.

Or to put things another way I'm not getting out of my funk. I mentioned this before about not having finished a story for a while. I get so far and just... well... stop being interested. And if I'm not interested in it I can't see a reader being interested. It's a complete bugger.

I like writing. It gives me a sense of satisfaction, but it's dried up a little. I think I need some time to go away and plot out a story for a week or two and get the whole thing onto paper in a notebook like I did for the first few (completed) novels. That way I might find the writing of it a lot easier. Who knows. They might peter out as much as the others. Well, I suppose it's worth a try

Away form writing I have been reading some. I finally got around to reading Kevin J Anderson's The Dark between the Stars, Mike Resnick's the Prison in Antares, Stephen King's Finders Keepers and be about a third of the way through Stephen King's End of Watch.

The last way I am concerned about. I really enjoyed Mr Mercedes and Finders Keepers. They featured a central core set of characters I have enjoyed spending time with. They also featured no supernatural stuff which I found kind of refreshing. The horror in the stories was entirely human in origin - people being evil bastards basically. I liked that. It's different to the spooky stuff and being different is occasionally good.

Well book three, End of Watch, seems to be bringing in some Mulder moments and I'm not sure I like the thought of the characters I've grown fond of now subjected to ghostly goings on. (BTW that's a phrase for general paranormal-ness. There doesn't seem to be any ghosts.) I wanted more of the same - give me a new evil bastard then set about making sure whatever he/she wants doesn't come to pass. Round of the trilogy and let the characters rest with a job well done and everything mundane in origin. Only that's not what's going to happen. The end of book two hinted at "powers".

I'm going to read it. I like the characters too much to not spend a little more time with them but I feel more than a little trepidation at where this might be going...

We shall see

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A writing update

Review of Ray Garton - Bestial

Attempts at regaining the writing saddle