Quick writing update - includes tonight's writing progrss


I had planned to do an informal NaNoWriMo for this November.
For anyone who doesn't know NaNoWriMo stands for National November Writing Month (I think). It's basically a writing challenge, the idea being write 50,000 words in a month - this month. It's a kind of challenge to get you actually writing.
Well I tried this a couple of years ago when I was writing my bawdy space opera detective noir novel (yes, I know it's a crazy mash-up) and fell two thousand three hundred words short. But writing 47.7K in a month was a result I will settle for.
Anyway for one reason after another I have not been able to write ever night (something you need to do to have a chance of getting to 50K). And so on the 12th I find myself at a mere 8,585 words on the month - 2,306 of which were added tonight. That's an average of 715 words a day as opposed to the 1666 the schedule demands.
Can I get it back? Well, maybe; but do I want to if it means not writing as well as I could. 50K of rubbish isn't worth anything. I need to get this book in good enough shape to send to my publisher after all. I'm sure she wouldn't be happy if what I sent was drivel.
So, instead I'm going to be happy that the book is 8,585 closer to this draft being finished. And if you wanted an update on how it's going beyond just NaNoWriMo consideration the book is now 24,322 words long.
I'm aiming this novel at 90K so I'm still short of a third through. But with more time available over the next couple of evenings there is a definite change I'll make the 30K mark by next weekend. As I would like to have this draft done by the end of the year I could do with at least that kind of progress.
Wish me luck

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review of Ray Garton - Bestial

Attempts at regaining the writing saddle

Monday musings, ramblings and nonsensical utterances (includes a lot of writing stuff)