Top 10 science fiction books (of today)

Every now and again I see a top ten or top fifty or top hundred list of something or other. And everytime I'm suckered in to reading or watching it. I seem to have a bizarre fascination with them.

Well yesterday I saw a post somewhere online that I've already forgotten listing some guy's top ten science fiction novels. I read it and agreed with precisely none of them. Not a surprise; there have been an awful lot of books. And I will say the list had some damn fine books on it; just not my pick.

So, inevitably, I started jotting down in one of my notebooks, what might make my top ten. And having done so I thought it would make sense to post the list.  Please note, this comes with a couple of provisos. I am not claiming to be an expert in SF. I might have several thousand SF books and magazines but does that make me an expert? It might do; not sure.

Secondly, if you ask me tomorrow, or next week, it might change. There would be something of an overlap - about half I'd guess; maybe more. But it wouldn't be exactly these ten.

Anyway, enough waffling; I should get on with it. List follows; the order is arbitrary. It reflects nothing other than the order they came into my head.

Robert Charles Wilson
 - The Chronoliths

Michael Moorcock
 - Behold the Man

Ward Moore
 - Bring the Jubilee

Frank Herbert
 - Dune

Lester del Rey
 - Police Your Planet

Robert Sheckley
 - The Status Civilsation

Edmund Cooper
 - Five to Twelve (damn, should I change this to the Cloud Walker?)

Arthur C. Clarke
 - Rendezvous with Rama (same as above but with Childhood's End)

Margaret Atwood
 - The Handmaid's Tale

Isaac Asimov
 - Foundation

There you go; on list. I want so much to include about thirty more; maybe fifty. After all this leaves out Slaughterhouse-5, Neuromancer, Forever War, Ringworld, the Stars My Destination, a Canticle for Leibowitz, and I could go on.

But it's a list. You'll have to let me know if any of your favourites aren't there.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A writing update

Review of Ray Garton - Bestial

Attempts at regaining the writing saddle